About VILNIUS FESTIVAL
The VILNIUS FESTIVAL is one of the most prestigious, solid and versatile classical music events in Lithuania and a major summer destination for music-lovers during the hottest tourist season. With primary interest in presenting classical music, performed by the established soloists, ensembles and symphony orchestras from all over the world, the VILNIUS FESTIVAL also continues to promote contemporary Lithuanian music by commissioning new large-scale works and offers a platform for jazz and musical theatre.
Since the first VILNIUS FESTIVAL in 1997 its primary idea has been to promote the historical and modern assets of world culture in society. Cooperation between Lithuanian and foreign musicians has fostered the creation of a multicultural music scene in Lithuania, as well as mutual tolerance and trust, and the discovery and support of new artistic forces. The organizers of VILNIUS FESTIVAL seek to reflect the cultural experiences of different nations and eras in the festival program.
The festival fulfills the main points of its program by:
- commissioning a major work from well-known Lithuanian composers
- organizing a recital from a famous Lithuanian performer
- inviting a foreign orchestra, opera, or ballet troupe
- organizing an evening dedicated to a composer
- organizing a concert dedicated to Renaissance and Baroque composers’ works
- presenting a legendary jazz soloist or ensemble
Period / number of events:
- Summer / about 10 concerts
- Music fans and professionals of all ages, educational backgrounds and nationalities
- Significance of the event
- VILNIUS FESTIVAL is an international music festival accredited by the European Festival Association
- It was accepted as a legitimate member of the Association in October 1999
Thanks to its cooperation with well-known Lithuanian and foreign performers, its common projects with Lithuanian, Italian, Polish, German, French, Croatian, Slovenian and Swiss festivals, and its active involvement in programs of cultural tourism, VILNIUS FESTIVAL has dispersed far and wide the liveliness of Lithuania’s culture, as well as the works of contemporary Lithuanian composers and a reputation for professionalism among its performers.
Bonds between the festival and Lithuania’s cultural image
The cooperation of VILNIUS FESTIVAL organizers and performers with world-renowned musicians (Yehudi Menuhin, Matislav Rostropovich, Justus Frantz, Riccardo Muti, Krzysztof Penderecki, David Geringas, Gidon Kremer, Yuri Bashmet) has accelerated the acceptance of not only Lithuania’s musical culture but also its political activities in the international realm. The support of these musicians for Lithuania’s intention to integrate to the EU was raised not only by artistic acts but also by official documents.
The active participation of VILNIUS FESTIVAL in programs of Lithuanian cultural tourism and its close cooperation with diplomatic missions of foreign countries has generated high interest among foreign guests and tourists in both this event and Lithuanian cultural happenings in general.
Contact person – Rūta Prusevičienė, email@example.com